This page contains information on admission, which is already closed, for 2018/2019 academic year.

Information given below may change, wherefore we encourage you to visit our website later in order to review qualification rules, admission schedule and list of required documents which will apply to admission for 2019/2020 academic year.

Certificates and diplomas obtained abroad

Certificate confirming completion of secondary school or obtaining a higher education degree

Remember that before registering for studies at the JU you should have finished secondary school or your previous degree programme (depending on the programme level). A certificate of predicted graduation will not be sufficient. Conditional enrolment on the basis of predicted grades, before you graduate, is not possible.

However, if you have graduated from secondary school or finished your previous degree programme, and passed all final exams, and you are only waiting for the document to be issued—you can present a certificate from the school or the university and oblige yourself to submit the original document by no later than 28 September, under the pain of withdrawal from the university.

Legalisation of secondary qualification certificates and higher education diplomas

All secondary qualification certificates and higher education diplomas obtained outside of Poland need to be certified with an apostille or legalised in their country of issue; otherwise the University cannot recognise those documents. Only International Baccalaureate diplomas and European Baccalaureate certificates do not have to undergo the procedure.

Apostille »

Legalisation »

Recognition of secondary certificates and diplomas

Most certificates do not require undergoing any additional recognition procedures in Polish governmental offices since they are recognized by virtue of law. If your document was issued in one of the countries enlisted below, you do not need to apply for a recognition decision. (Please remember that the document still has to prove your eligibility to undertake studies in the country of issue!)

The following certificates are recognized by virtue of law:

  1. Issued by schools or education institutions operating within the education framework of a member state of the European Union, member state of Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), member state of European Free Trade Association (EFTA)—a party to the Agreement on European Economic Area, entitling its holder to apply for university admission in those countries (Article 93(1)(1) of the Polish Act on the Education System).
  2. International Baccalaureate diplomas and European Baccalaureate certificates.
  3. Certificates recognized on the basis of international agreement signed by Poland with other countries. Detailed information about such international agreements are available on the Ministry of Science and Higher Education website (in Polish only).

If the certificate does not fall within any of the above mentioned categories, it has to undergo the administrative procedure for its recognition as a document which gives its holder right to undertake higher education, by a decision issued by the Education Officer (kurator oświaty). For the Jagiellonian University the appropriate education office is Małopolskie Kuratorium Oświaty in Kraków (website available in Polish only). The decision should be obtained by the end of the first semester. Detailed information about procedure can be find here.

If you have been granted a nostrification before 31 March 2015 and your certificate does not fall within any of the above mentioned categories, please include the certificate of nostrification in your set of required documents submitted to the university.

Higher education diploma »


Apart from obtaining apostille for your documents or legalising them, remember that every document that has been issued in a language other than Polish needs to be translated into Polish. The translation should be certified by a Polish sworn translator (person registered on the list of sworn translators and interpreters kept by the Minister of Justice), UE sworn translator (when the institution of sworn translator occure in the legal system) or by Polish consulateor (consul). In case of study programmes carried out in foreign languages, documents may be translated into English or Polish.